CALLING ALL BRIDES (or those of us who are forever obsessed with weddings):
In honor of my ONE YEAR wedding anniversary today (and since some of you have asked), I thought I'd share a little bit about what I learned in my first year of marriage, who my awesome wedding vendors were, and what I learned about what was essential vs. non-essential on my wedding day!
My Wedding Vendors (I highly recommend!)
- Wedding Dress: BHLDN
- (I made my own dress there with the Anika skirt, Carina corset in blush, and a topper that has been sold out, sadly.)
- Earrings: BHLDN
- Bracelet + Bridesmaid Necklaces: Kendra Scott
- Bride's Shoes: Anthropologie
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Quinn dress by BHLDN
- Photographer: Carolynn Seibert Photography
- Videographer: Contrast Films
- Venue + Food (and it was breakfast food!): Annadele's Plantation
- Florist: Poppy & Mint
- Hair & Make-up: Verde Beauty Studio
- They do airbrush makeup & can travel + set up studio at your location!
- Stationery: Printable Press
ESSENTIALS vs. NON-ESSENTIALS
When it comes to your wedding day, it seems like everything is essential. The planning can drive you to a near breakdown (but it shouldn't have to!). Get ready for a HUGE piece of wisdom...you ready for it? Make sure you're sitting down. Okay, here we go: On your wedding day, something will inevitably happen differently than you have planned. Yep. It's true. Breathe in, breathe out. For my wedding day, I had planned to pass out these gorgeous, custom wedding programs. I had paid all that money to have them custom-made. And you know what? My husband and I found the whole stack of them in our suitcase when we were leaving to go on our honeymoon THE NEXT DAY! They never were even passed out! We just laughed, realizing that NO ONE had even noticed that we had no wedding programs. But you know what? Our wedding day was amazing (not perfect, but AMAZING), like something out of a dream.
So. What is essential? What is non-essential? Well, I think it starts with your unique story. What is most important to you when it comes to your wedding day? For us, it was photography, food, and flowers. So we allotted most of our budget to these things. For some of you, maybe food or flowers isn't as important but the venue and stationery is. Great! Allot more of your budget to those things. And when things go differently than planned, when every tiny detail is stressing you out, just remember: your wedding day will not be perfect. It will be AMAZING but it will not be perfect. So stick with the essentials (what is most important to YOU as a couple...not to your great aunt Bertha), and hold loosely the rest! Your sanity and everyone around you will thank you!
3 of the top things I've learned from my first year as a newlywed:
- Keep that flame ALIVE with weekly date nights!
- Put awayyyyyy the phones & actually converse! Try new restaurants, cook at home, & watch a tv series together!
- Pray together every single day.
- It's really hard to stay mad at each other or in an argument when you force yourselves to pray to God together each day. ;)
- Stay connected.
- Be super intentional about asking your spouse every day how he/she is doing. Staying tuned in to how each other's hearts are doing is so, so important and will guard against any potential distance and/or offense.
Well, that's all I have for y'all today! If you liked this blog post and would like to be among the first to hear when I post in the future, you can join my email community here!